Overall Dress Design Statement

            When I began this project I was really lost and did not know where to begin. But as I sketched and read the article I became a little more inspired. I knew that I wanted to create some sort of dress. My designs are typically not as geometric as the assignment entailed. Similar to Suzy Menkes I tend to create drawings and designs with more curves and volume in them. My designs are typically not very boxy. But it was interesting to step out of my comfort zone and create something boxy. When I first started this assignment my main design concept was to make a dress with a mod feel. I wanted to create a boxy dress that possibly Twiggy would wear during the sixties mod era. But as there was a time restraint, I decided to change my design and I created an overall dress.

My inspiration was drawn from the Louis Vuitton fashion show. When I first saw that fashion show I was amazed by it, the elevators and models were awesome. I loved every piece in the collection. The main inspiration that I drew from the fashion show was the checkers throughout the collection. Then I was also inspired by the boxy silhouettes of the dresses and skirts. I was inspired by the checkers and the silhouettes because I loved the way they looked, but I also knew that they would contribute to the type of design that we were assigned. The checkers would cover the square element that I wanted to incorporate. The collection had black and white throughout, but I did not get the black and white color concept from the runway. I had always wanted to design something in black and white, since I am drawn to and tend to use colorful colors in my most of my designs.

I used the Afghan Tunisian crochet method throughout the entire design. I decided not to change the stitch throughout and instead keep it cohesive overall. I began by creating several square samples to choose which size would best suit my overall concept. When I finally chose the perfect size, I ended up with a square that was almost three inches, about two and seven eighths inches. Having the size and proportion that I needed, I crocheted squares and squares for days. I crocheted 72 squares that make up the overall dress. Then I had to piece the squares together. I knew that I wanted the squares to line up like a checkerboard, similar to the inspiration pieces in the Louis Vuitton Fashion Show. I placed the squares down in alternating color patterns and sewed them together. This created a large rectangle that made up the lower portion of the overalls. Then I sewed together some more squares that made an even bigger square that represented the bib portion of the overalls. Then I crocheted two very long rectangles that made up the straps of the dress.

Overall I think that this was an interesting process. I learned that I need to be much more flexible with my design ideas. I cannot always get the concept that I want at the beginning, instead it changes throughout. But I am happy with the end look of my garment. I think that it goes along with the square and rectangle challenge of the project since the bottom squares created another rectangle within them. It was a much different process to crochet the entire look instead of machine sewing already made fabric together. My challenge throughout was the crocheting, since it took such a long time to do and was so tiresome on my hands, but besides the crocheting it was interesting. This design can be worn many different ways, it can be a beach cover up, dressed down with a tank, or dressed up with colorful nylons for a night out. The overall dress can be very diverse and I am happy with the outcome of it.

Supplies:20140311-234030.jpg

20140311-234045.jpgSketches:20140312-011336.jpg20140311-234206.jpg

20140311-234239.jpg

20140311-234251.jpg

20140311-235611.jpg

20140311-235621.jpg

20140311-235636.jpg

20140311-235645.jpg

Advertisements